Thursday, January 04, 2007

FAQ: Will There Be an Elantris Sequel

I get this one an awful lot, and so I thought I should finally address it officially on the website.  I can't remember if I've ever talked about this before on the blog, but I know I haven't done a FAQ entry.  So, here goes.

One of the things I really wanted to do with ELANTRIS was make it a stand alone. I think that the fantasy field is too cluttered with series that should have ended years ago, and I--personally--am tired of waiting for years between books in my favorite series. So, when people asked me if there would be a sequel, I used to respond “Maybe.”

However, more and more, I’m feeling that someday I will write a sequel to ELANTRIS. A lot of people seem to want one, and there is a lot of the story that I’ve left untold--the origin of the Seons, the reason that the Dor and the landscapes are linked, the Fjordell magic. Doing book tours and reading emails from readers has reminded me of all the wonderful things I wanted to do with the world of Opelon.

So, the official word right now is yes: I will most likely be doing a sequel to ELANTRIS.  I don't know WHEN I'll do one, but I eventually will.

Thus ends the FAQ entry.  You can read previous entries on the FAQ page.

Life is good.  I'm finally beginning to get over the fatigue of the book tour and the holidays.  I'm back to being a recluse--today, I didn't know that there had been any snow until I finally opened the garage door to leave at around 4:30 pm.  The rest of the day I spent answering emails, brainstorming for my next project, and playing good old FFXII. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I just read Elantris (August 2009) and would love to know the answers to the questions you pose in your blog. I also didn't know you were the one selected to finish Wheel of Time. I've put off reading the last one written so I can read the final two together. I'm looking forward to it, and to reading more from you. Thank you for writing fantasy that goes beyond the stereotypical plot lines. I really enjoyed it.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

about a year or so ago, i walked into a bookstore that was closing down out of curiosity. I love books, although i am admittedly a bit close-minded when it comes to new material. Elantris was heavily discounted, at maybe 5-7$, and while i was pressed for time, i said sure, why not. It now stands in my library as one of my favorite books, as an incredibly good buy. its great to hear there will be sequels!

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home